Return to Our Stories page

Our Miracle

On September 23, 1993, our lives as we know it was changed in a way that we never thought or could have dreamed. Two days before Earnest walked into the emergency room, he was dealing with a virus or that’s what we thought. On that second afternoon, I (Martha) noticed that Earnest’s mouth had twisted to one side of his face. He did not want to go to the doctor and I asked our son, Maury, to convince his father to go to the doctor, but to no avail, he did not succeed. About 6:00pm, our grandson, Joshua, pleaded with his “Papa” to go to the doctor and Earnest finally agreed to go to the doctor’s office.


We went to our family physician, and he sent us directly to Forsyth Memorial Hospital’s emergency room. I prayed that God would have mercy on him.1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety upon Him, for He cares for you.” On that Wednesday night, a long and frightening journey began. That Thursday, Earnest suffered another stroke and Dr. Edward Hill was called in to access his condition. I prayed and asked God to send a God-fearing doctor to our assistance. Dr. Hill examined my husband and checked his charts. He stated that most people in this condition do not usually make a recovery. Dr. Hill said, “I am going to do all I can for him and with God’s help anything is possible”. When Dr. Hill said, “with God’s help”, I knew that God had heard my prayers.


However, later that Thursday evening, Earnest suffered three more strokes. Dr. Hill stated that he was threatening another attack and he was doing all he could to prevent another stroke.  We made it through the weekend with prayer and the encouragement of family and friends. Nevertheless, on Monday, Earnest suffered a severe stroke that stopped his heart. A code blue was issued and the unit was working with him to jump-start his heart. I do not know how many times that they used the paddles to shock his heart because they asked that the family go to the waiting area. With God saying, “No, not yet”, he was given a second chance at life. Our eldest son, Anthony, was there by my side throughout this trying ordeal. The doctors and nurses stabilized Earnest and they transported him to the ICU.  During that time, Earnest was in a comatose state and he was unable to recognize anyone. Although, he would look at you, there was no sign of my “husband”. He could not talk, walk, turn himself over, or even swallow food.


In Mark 11:24, it states “ What things so ever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them and ye shall have them”. A miracle happened within four days in the ICU.  God heard our prayers and allowed him to gain strength and a second chance to redeem himself before God. For a month, multiple traumas began with prostate surgery, kidney failure, and pneumonia. I kept repeating Hebrews 11:1, “Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.” I believed that God would not fail me. My hope and trust was still in God. Faith must be exercised, tried, and kept.


During those trials, I anointed Earnest with oil everyday, prayed, and believed that God would heal him. We gave God the glory, the honor, and the praise for his healing. Psalm 27:1 says, “the Lord is the strength of our lives, we seek him daily”. Earnest was in the hospital for two months and almost two weeks. He came home two days before Thanksgiving. We will never forget that day and with special thanks to God for delivering him. Presently, Earnest is walking and feeding himself. His intelligence is near normal, with minor lapses of memory, but I praise God for sparing his life. Sometimes, he has trouble verbalizing his thoughts, which is common for people with left-hemisphere damage. At times, it is frustrating for him, but his speech is clear enough that you can understand his words. Earnest has repented to God and has redeemed himself as one of His children. In Hebrew 11:6, “He that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he rewards those that diligently seek Him.” Earnest goes to the YMCA in King, NC four days a week. He trains with the Millennium team to regain his normal abilities as deemed by God.


During the last 10 months, Earnest has lost 30 pounds; his diabetes is normal, and he has had his pills reduced by eight medications.  He has no swelling and his body is not bent over when he walks.  His morale and self-esteem have improved. His right arm and hand is more relaxed and he has some movement in his limbs. Everyday we seek God and still believe He is our Jehovah Raffi, our Healer.  In Isaiah 26:3 “Thou will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” We thank and praise God for our “Miracle”.


By Martha S. Hairston